Wednesday, June 1, 2011

And Later that Day...

June 1st 2011:

Approximately an hour after arriving to work - a little over two hours since my goodbye AM smoke - the jitters set in.

They were subtle at first, just a little gnawing sensation at the back of my brain. I reached for my purse subconsciously, then remembered that I'd left my last two cigarettes at home... I am supposed to be quitting after all, right?

See how my brain turned that statement into a question? Sneaky, eh? But I really, really wanted a cigarette. As I rummaged through my desk drawers and purse pockets hoping against hope to find a stray Pall Mall or a forgotten pack, I tried to keep telling myself that there is a difference between "want" and "need" - I want a cigarette; I do not need a cigarette.

Yet, I kept searching for the cigarette I knew I would not find. After one pass through my drawers and purse, I turned back to my computer and tried to work, but that gnawing had become an itch - the kind that almost hurts, the kind that feels like it will drive you insane if you can't scratch it - and I couldn't stop obsessing on it.

There has to be a cigarette in here somewhere, I keep thinking. This time I dump my purse, find nothing, then pull all the papers, paper clips, files, pens, etc. out of my desk drawers until I have a mess strewn across my desk top and a matching ring of mess around my desk chair.

A co-worker came in to ask em a question about something or other, I couldn't concentrate - I may have snapped a bit when I replied.

I was a crazy person - all it took was two hours. Pathetic.

So, I apologized to the person I snapped at, then went to my boss's office to tell her I was making an emergency run to the Walgreens on the corner. At the register, it took every once of will I have to not ask for a pack of Pall Malls.

Instead, I asked for a box of Nicorette gum, fresh mint flavor.

$69 poorer, I am back at the office pondering the instructions on how to chew the damn gum and waiting the recommended 15 minutes after my last cup of coffee.

Update to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment